Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So I am back after a small hiatus.  Bob is healing up very well.  He is already on the bike at the gym riding 7 miles and swimming in the pool!  The most amazing part about this whole thing was that our entire bill for everything including the surgery, all of the rental equipment like the wheelchair, shower and toilet stuff, walker ect. was only $45 and that was for the ambulance!  They have to charge a small fee so people don't call up for a ride to the grocery store. I love the national health care system here.  If you need medical assistance, you don't need to stop and think about - can I afford it.  I got a copy of an itemized bill from one of the hospitals for x-rays - they cost $7.00.  That same x-ray would cost you hundreds of dollars in the US.  It makes you realize was a rip off it is.  

So a couple of things to talk about today.  The first is a hilarious ad that I saw while riding the subway this weekend.  It was an ad for Colon Cancer Canada and is something you would NEVER see in the States.  It's a picture of a person's naked butt and next to the butt it says "We were going to do a scratch-n-sniff ad...but that would just be wrong"  It was hilarious!

So we found a GREAT dim sum restaurant nearby thanks to my friend Amy.  We have been there every weekend for the last month!  For those of you who do not know what dim sum is its a Chinese cuisine that involves a wide ranges of dishes served on small plates and/or bamboo steamer baskets.  Ladies push around carts of this food and you pick off what you want from the carts.  They serve all sorts of things including dumplings, seafood, buns, chicken feet, squid, and many other things - some really good and some very disgusting.  You generally take 2-3 hours to eat and drink tea. It's a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon! I love Toronto's diversity!

Last weekend we were invited to Bob's co-workers condo for a traditional Moroccan feast.  We made our way downtown via the subway which was interesting with Bob on crutches.  We had a bit of a scare on the escalator as Bob wasn't used to having four legs, but he managed to stay upright.  THANK GOD!  We made it most of the way there but had to take a cab the last bit as it was just a bit too far to walk.  We arrived and it was only my second time being in a condo in downtown Toronto.  It was totally amazing because 2 full sides of the condo (900 sq ft) were all windows that looked out over the entire city.  It was very breathtaking.  We started drinking wine and ended up eating at about 10pm.  I am still trying to get used to this as we used to eat at 5:30pm everyday growing up. Now days, I prefer 6:30-7:30.   Anyway, Moroccan food is absolutely amazing.  I don't really like shrimp and I ate so many I thought I might puke.  The spices were amazing.  I am going to have to get some recipes and make this myself.  We ended up drinking way to much wine that night and listening/singing to the Top 1000 songs of the last 30 years which was  a dangerous combination!  

Ok so here is an interesting story about how lucky I am.  I noticed about a week or two ago that I had lost my key to Bob's truck.  I just figured I would make a new one.  As I was walking home one day, I happened to be looking at the ground near the side of the road and I saw a Toyota key....geez I wondered if it was mine?  Yes, in fact it was!  I don't know how I dropped it or how it got there, but I got my key back after two weeks of sitting in the street.  Lucky!

So I also tried acupuncture this last week. I have heard so many good things about it so I decided to try it.  The first time she put 2 needles in my hand and 1 in my foot for pain in my hip.  Once she put the needles in I could feel a strange feeling in my hand - not pain, but a strange feeling.  She left me like this for 25 min and then she came back and had me move my leg/hip where the pain was.  After that I had even more intense feelings in my hand.  Then it was all over.  Two hours later the pain was gone.  The next time I went back she put 8 needles in my neck, back and feet for some neck pain.  I felt like a brand new woman!  I would highly recommend acupuncture to anymore with chronic pain.

Spring is here and I am so excited!  

No comments: