Sunday, May 2, 2010

Batad - The Cliff Notes

So you saw the video and here is the explanation to go with it.

We went to a new area that I hadn't been to before called Batad. We rode on top of the jeepney which was pretty cool and death defying at the same time. I couldn't take many pictures as it was so bumpy, you had to hand hold on with two hands. There were a lot of forest fires in the area and one actually burned right down to the road we came in on and was still smoking when we left. The hike to Batad was pretty intense - about 8 hours round trip and some serious elevation. There are no roads to this area - the only way to get in and out is to hike. Willy, one of our guides from Manila came with us and he didn't eat or drink enough so he started getting dizzy and we had to pump him full of water, gatorade and snacks to get him back up the mountain....hence the shirt we gave him that originally said "I survived the Batad Rice Terraces" and we changed to "I almost died at the Batad Rice Terraces". He thought it was pretty funny. The ultimate destination was Tappia Waterfalls, a hidden 30 meter high waterfall. We went swimming and it felt so good after a long sweaty hike!

On the way down, we rode on the jeepney again. Saw some interesting things including a dog and a pig being butchered on the side of the road. I had heard they eat dogs in this area, but never thought I would actually see it. YUCK! Also saw a 5 year old squatting to take a poop in the road. This is not uncommon. Always watch where you step, it could be poo or pee!

We made a stop in Sagada and ate well again. The veggies in this area are the best I have ever had. Organic and fresh! We even discovered homemade yogurt that I would seriously make the 12 hr drive to have again! In Sagada we did a 4 hr caving tour which was totally cool. I kept saying "We are going down there? Are you crazy?" Very tight places.

From Sagada we drove to Baguio where we did some sightseeing and shopping at the local market to take home some fresh veggies for dinner. I also bought some awesome wooden sculptures.

No comments: