Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Adventures in Golfing

I honestly don't know how I keep this blog alive as the US is so boring compared to Asia.  Yet somehow, adventure seems to follow me. Let me share an example:

As you know Bob is an avid golfer - now that he's old!  :-) and golf every Sat and Sun.  He wants me to go with him but I find golf boring and would rather go hiking or biking with the dogs.  Then...he discovered my kryptonite...beer and friends.  So if he wants me to go, he makes it a foursome with a couple friend of ours and makes sure the cart is loaded with beer.  Then, Jenny is in her happy place.  Who says I am high maintenance!

So a few Saturdays ago we headed to a golf course called Avon Fields which was recommended by our friends co-worker.  Bob was immediatly telling us stories of how scary this course was back in the old days is as it's not in a good neighborhood and you would hear gun fire, ect.  He said we should have brought bulletproof vests. The three of us looked at him like "yeah right, that stuff doesn't happen here!".

We began golfing and were enjoying the afternoon and course.  There were a bunch of sirens nearby but we chalked it up to being close to a police station or something. Then we came to 7th hole.  I am in the middle of my backswing and all of the sudden we hear clear as day over a loudspeaker "JUSTIN, COME OUT OF THE HOUSE WITH YOUR HANDS UP" immediatly followed by the sound of gun fire.  We all stare at each other in disbelief!  Do we get down on the ground to miss stray bullets?  Do we continue with our game?  I think we stood there for a good 5 min staring and laughing our asses off at the realization that Bob's description was dead on....we should have brought bulletproof vests.

This standoff continued for several hours and despite trying our best to figure out what happened, we couldn't find it in the news.  This must happen quite often!

No comments: