Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Family Reunion

We headed up to the family cottage in Canada for a week for the Root Family Reunion.  All of Bob's brothers and sister's and kids, his Mom, grandma and uncle and aunt were all able to make it.  It was a fun to relax and not work for a week.

The most exciting part of the trip occurred on our last day. During the time we lived in Toronto, we visited the cottage almost every weekend.  During all those visits I would see this beautiful looking sailboat sitting in the boathouse. When we arrived for the reunion, to my delight, the sailboat was in the water!  Jim promised he would take me out before we left.

As we headed out, I squealed a few times as Jim really made the boat lean to it's side. It seems very tippy to me. He told me that the boat was "un-tippable" I was asking a question about how you "tack" or make the turns and how we were going to do this in a very tight opening out of the bay which had rocks on each side.  He explained how we were going to do it and 5 minutes later we were maneuvering our way though.  We go to "tack" and I hear Jim say "OH SHIT!" and the saill catch a big gust of wind and headed right for me. Next thing I know the boat it tipping over and I am jumping in the water, hat, sunglasses and all trying to avoid getting caught up in the sails and ropes.  We all pop our heads above water and I am a bit panicked, mostly because this is a pretty nice boat and the boat is on it's side, full of water and very close to hitting the rocks - I don't want the boat to get scratched!  Meanwhile, Jim is laughing his ass off.  He had never tipped this boat so we weren't sure how to tip it back over (it was a pretty big boat).  He tells me to climb up on the bottom of the boat onto the side and pull the boat back over.  He pushed me up and I do my best spiderman impression and crawl to the top and pull the boat over.  He forgot to tell me to lay flat in the boat after I do this and the boat basically tips over on top my me the other way.  DAMN!  By this time we have been noticed by some boaters who come over and help us and pull us off the rocks and I climb back up on the bottom of the boat and this time get it up right.  Then I climb in and start bailing water.  We are all laughing the entire time. Good memories.

So we proved the "untippable" boat is actually tippable!

No comments: