Sunday, October 25, 2009

Officially a Certified Scuba Diver

It's official!  We are certified scuba divers.  We completed the 4 dives in 2 days to complete our Open Water Certification.  It was CRAZY cold.  52 degrees to be exact.  As you can see by the pictures below, we were wearing 7mm wetsuits, gloves, hoods, booties.  On each of the four dives you need to complete certain skills.  Some of them are flooding your mask, taking your mask on and off, doing an emergency ascent, buddy breathing, buoyancy control, navigation (I suck at this), and basic diver rescue skills.  After about 10-15 minutes in the water you feel like a Popsicle.  I kept myself warm by peeing in my wetsuit.  I didn't care - anything to keep warm!  We were told these were the hardest dives we would probably ever do - due to the cold, visibility, amount of gear you have on ect.   The visibility was so low because we were all flailing around like drowned rats because we were all new, first dive in open water, ect.  So we all created a cloud of dirt around us.  Bob was right next to me and I couldn't even see him!  I just hung on the the platform on the bottom and prayed the instructor would come find me!  I have gone from not liking water to scuba diving - I am overcoming my fears.... but I can't wait for WARM water!



I got of the water after the 4th dive while everyone was still going down to complete their skills.  Since I was the only girl, the guys let me go first so I wouldn't get cold.  Isn't that nice?

No comments: