Monday, December 20, 2010

Bike Accident

Literally every day I am reminded of how carefree and easy my life was in North America. Today I wanted to share one of these stories with you.

So the other day I am sitting in my home office and I saw Jun, our security guard walk by the window with a huge bandage across the top of his head. So I of course ran outside and asked him what happened. He proceeds to tell me that he had a bike accident (on the bike Bob gave him). He was riding in the dark in an underpass with no lights on (not uncommon) and a bus got too close to him so he tried to move over but his pedal hit the gutter and launched him into the air landing on his head. The only thing that saved him from getting hurt worse was 1) the bus didn't run over him when he fell and 2) the rivet on his ball cap that he was wearing took most of the road rash - it literally grinded the whole rivet off. He didn't look so good with his big bloody bandage on his head and it looked like it hurt a lot. I asked him if he had gone to the doctor and of course the answer was no as it's too expensive. So I start digging around in my first aid kit looking for anything that could help. I gave him some gauze, tape, some pain relievers and some antiseptic and Theresa our other helper cleaned out his wound for him. This didn't seem to bother anyone else at the house as this stuff happens so frequently around here with bikes and motorbikes they hardly notice.

So after we got him all bandaged up I told him he needed to get a helmet - no matter the cost as he had 5 kids he needs to support. I gave him my blinking light to wear on his backpack so drivers can see him in the dark. The next day he came back with a brand new helmet (cost him 500 pesos which is about $10. This is a lot of money for him - but it's worth it!

No comments: