So for the record, I will never get used to being "rich" by Philippines standards. Everyone here assumes that because of the color of our skin we are all rich - hence what I like to call the "white skin tax". Basically if I go in and try to bargain, I will never get as good of a price as a Filipino simply due to the color of my skin. Super annoying because I am NOT rich!
So along with being "rich" comes the dark side....people asking you for advances in salary or money. Everyone here says don't do it. In my head I told myself that my policy would be to never loan or advance money. Then I got my first story and I totally caved. I could tell something was up that day because "he who shall not be named" looked totally distraught. I later learned why. Apparently his wife is a diabetic and she ran out of insulin and he didn't get paid for another 3-4 days. She was very sick without the insulin and asked me if he could borrow P1000 (about $20). I wrestled with a decision all day. On the one hand, he needed the money more than I, and I had no reason not to believe his story or that he would pay me back. On the other hand, I could be getting the run around and never be paid back. Worst case scenario, I lose $20. My friend Lindsay made a great point. Never loan more money than you can afford to lose. So..at the end of the day I loaned the money as that was what my heart told me was the right thing to do. I was SO happy that 3 days later, as promised, I was paid back with a huge smile and thank you for helping his family.
My next experience came last week when my trainer came to me and told me that his house burnt down and he and his family lost everything except the clothes on their backs. He asked if he could have an advance on his training sessions. Now, the week before he couldn't come because his father died and now his house burns down? Oh my gosh, how many bad things can happen to you in a span of a week? The totally amazing and wonderful part is that he is still happy, not bitter, and has the attitude that is life and you move on with it. What amazing determination. Filipinos are truly amazing and inspiring people!
No comments:
Post a Comment