Friday, April 8, 2011

India Again

Here are some more pictures from India and some stories.

When we were shopping in the street markets I was getting BOMBARDED with people wanting me to buy things. My co-workers - all Asian didn't get picked on at all. I was so jealous. I ended up buying a kurti which is like a short dress with slits on the sides that you can wear with leggings or jeans.

I had seen people crossing the streets on foot in India and was shocked - you basically run across the street with cars flying in all directions and pray that you don't get hit by a car. They don't yield to pedestrians. So while we were shopping we had to cross the street. I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes! But we survived.

Apparently the drugs in India are DIRT cheap so one of my colleagues was racing from pharmacy to pharmacy stocking up on blood pressure medicine for her mother. She bought years supply. 1 pill in Manila is $1 each - in India she could get 12 for $2.

One of the days, we had to do store checks with our new vendor in India. The three girls went in one car and the three boys went in the other. After the day was over we met up over dinner and compared notes for the day. Apparently the boys car was infested with cockroaches and they were flying around in the car the entire time while the driver was trying to kill them and drive. Thank god we did not get that car. I would not have made it.

A girl I met at the hotel - we went for an amazing vegetarian dinner. You basically have these small dishes and they come fill them up. It's like a buffet that comes to you! I have no idea what any of this was but it was YUMMY! $5USD. They asked us to ring a bell on the way out of the restaurant - I have no idea what that was all about!

We went shopping before dinner and these pants are as tall as she is! I ended up buying a Saree.

Famous bridge in Mumbai - it's 7 miles long and is out in the sea. Really not that interesting.

People on the rocks at low tide

Walking out to the mausoleum in the sea there are beggars that line the entire 1km walk. Most are missing limbs and look horrific.

Mausoleum at low tide - during high tide you can only get there by boat.

Gateway of India

So many people everywhere you look!

Crazy yogi's everywhere


Everyone was playing cricket on this huge field. I was actually in India during the semi-finals of the World Cup of Cricket being played in Mumbai. People were going crazy over this game, fireworks, dancing, you name it.

Victoria Train Terminal
Known as the place where the Slumdog Millionare Jai Ho song was filmed

Dog taking a nap in the train terminal



Crawford Market - inside

Crawford Market - outside

You can't see the birds circling in this picture, but there were hundreds of them - big ones. One of the 9 Hindu religions in India just puts their dead relatives out for the birds to eat them - this was one of the places. My driver said it takes about a week. EWWW!!

Had to perfect the sit and squat without splashing

Jain Temple

No comments: