Saturday, January 29, 2011

Interesting Stories

So I was at a MWF (Manila Women's Forum) meeting where they had a guest speaker on human trafficking (child labor and prostitution). Everyone was really interested in these topics and there was record turnout. All of the sudden right before the speaker comes up, this wealthy Filipina says "Can we not do anymore meetings about these sorts of topics anymore....they are so depressing". I swear to god, the whole room (mostly foreigners and a few Filipinos) mouths dropped open in shock. But culturally, in my experience its a "me" and "them" mentality and wealthy Filipinos tend to ignore and not acknowledge the poverty around them.

I was walking the dogs the other day in the village and I saw our gardener on a BRAND NEW BIKE. He was obviously showing it off to all of his friends and they were all touching it and congratulating him. It's so nice to see things like this and to see people appreciate what they have.

No comments: