So today I did my first mountain bike ride in the Philippines. It was great, but my ass was super pissed as it hasn't been in a saddle for two years and it wasn't liking the 25 miles or so we rode it one bit!
So the day started off at 5am and headed to Marikina to meet up with my friends Gary and SJ who are visiting from Idaho. We set off to pick up some other friends along the way up the mountain. We made the first set of climbs and stopped at a rest place to overlook the city and all the smog that goes with it. Although you can't really see it in the photo, it was totally black and nasty. On the bright side, it was nice to breathe in some fresh air! All along the ride there are little bamboo huts for you to stop and rest and get water or gatorade. There are also lots of friends at all the stops like ducks, chickens, roosters, dogs, ect. There are even urinals - the one in the picture is a plastic jug with a hose attached to the end!
Filipino mountain bikers like to eat while they ride - totally foreign to us Idahoers who bring our food and stuff it in our mouths while riding (now that takes talent people!). So we stopped for rice, spam, corned beef, and omelets. It was awesome - but I would come to regret it later as I ate too much.
The views were totally amazing and the ride was awesome - although I started to fade towards the end with the heat and my lack of riding - but I finished without having to be transported down on an ox or something so I was proud of myself!
Check out the photos here. http://www.mntbikebabe.shutterfly.com/1270
No comments:
Post a Comment