So I was noticing that none of the women here breast feed and I also noticed the HUGE sections of the grocery store that are full of dried milk. I think it's very hard to find real "milk" here. I asked around and found out that the milk companies market to and discourage women from breastfeeding. The milk companies give the new mothers bottles and the milk in the hospital and after a few days since the women are not breast feeding, but rather feeding their babies the dried milk, their own milk dries up. So then the cycle begins. Milk is expensive AND they have to mix the milk with water...which is most likely contaminated...which then makes them sick.
Apparently this issue happened in Africa as well and a bill was passed to ban the sale of bottles and nipples to prevent the issue. The government couldn't come out and ban dried milk as the lobbyists for the milk companies would never let that happen, but they could ban the sale of the "hardware". It is just amazing to me that some of these companies can get away with this....all to make a profit.
No comments:
Post a Comment