On the way we stopped at a gas station. I couldn't help but take a picture of this hanging over the toilet.
So again I took too many photos to post here, but I will at least give you the run down on them so you aren't wondering what the hell you are looking at! Click here or visit http://www.mntbikebabe.shutterfly.com/1224
On the way to Mt. Pinatubo there are rice fields everywhere. Many people are out working in the fields. It beautiful - although not captured in a good photo as we are zooming down the highway at 100 clicks an hour. Once we reached Pampanga you can see the ash from the volcano which is still an issue today as it clogs the rivers and water ways and then must dredge it to keep the water flowing.
Once we pulled up to the school the kids were super excited and came out to greet us. As you can see by the photo's, these children have very dark skin and have very tight, curly hair. I was told they are decedents from the original people of the Philippines. I think they are actually called Negritos. Everyone loved having their picture taken! As you can see there were a lot of kids in this small school.
We handed out their school supplies and they immediatly said "salamat po" (thank you) and then ran outside to see what cool things they got. Then they all wanted to know our names, how old we were, etc. I don't think I have ever been asked how old I am so many times in my whole life vs the 6 weeks we have been here.
Then we headed to the local community center where we were served boiled taro root and corn. I was a little leery at first as I didn't see how or who it was prepared by, but it was actually pretty good! Then the chief came out to say hello. After that it was time to go. We headed back to Pampanga and stopped at a local restaurant for lunch. The lunch was interesting. I didn't really know what anything was (and that was probably a good thing!) so I stuck with veggies and rice. I also had buko juice (coconut juice) served right in the coconut. My whole meal with water and drinks was $2. Can't beat those prices!
Then we headed to visit a church - I can't remember the name of it, but it was half buried in the ash of Mt. Pinatubo. The windows you can see are actually the second floor. In some of the photos, you can just make out the top of the windows sticking out of the dirt. The cemetery, which they call the twice buried dead cemetery - was interesting as all you can see are the tops of the mausoleums. I tried to take a picture of the original church but it didn't turn out so well - but it gives you an idea of what the church looked like before.
On the way back I had to snap this picture of a guy hanging in a hammock in the back of a pick-up truck going down the highway - Filipinos are the most creative people ever!
All in all it was a very informative and wonderful day. Everyday here I learn something new!
No comments:
Post a Comment