So we started off our Christmas season by becoming homeless. The mover's came and took off with all of our stuff. We had 3 shipments, one for storage, one for air and one for sea. What chaos trying to figure out what goes where. Something is going to end up in the wrong place but oh well! It took 4 days to pack and load us as they have to bubble wrap everything you own for an international move. Even the shovels and the wheelbarrow get bubble wrapped! What a waste. So after we became homeless we headed to Winnipeg to see Bob's family for Christmas. We took off a day earlier than we had planned as there was a big storm coming. It was a good thing we left when we did as we were basically snowed in for 2 days - the good news was that is was Christmas Eve, day and Boxing day so we were stuck together anyway! We were in Winkler, Manitoba about an hour south of Winnipeg at Bob's sisters house.
Bob's sister is a vet and was on call for Christmas and a call came in for a calf that needed some help. Since it was pretty much white out conditions and huge snowdrifts on the road, Bob and her husband decided to go along in case she went in the ditch. I decided to go cause it sounded like fun! So we drive out to this farm and can't see a damn thing. You keep hearing "poof" "poof" "poof" as we hit the snowdrifts on the road. We finally get to the farm and head out to the barn. Now, I am afraid of cows. I'm not afraid of calfs, which is what we were going to see. But I didn't think that I would have to walk the gaunlet of cows to get to the calfs. I held onto Bob and used him as my shield in the off chance they come after me. :-)

Me and the cows making friends (see the one eyeing me?)
So we get past the cows to the calf. He is extremely dehydrated so we have to put an IV in him. So Bob's sister tells Bob to hold the calf's leg down. Then she pulls out the needle and starts to put in in. Bob's starts dry heaving....can't handle blood or needles. So I jump in and hold the calf's leg. I am feeling like a vet tech or something! We saved the calf's life, or at least that is what I am telling myself. In reality, it was probably a run of the mill thing for Bob's sister, but I thought it was super cool! A couple of days later Bob's sister was called in to fix a German Shepherd's broken ankle. Poor guy got hit by a snowmobile. So I watched the whole thing and didn't pass out. Apparently this is quite the feat from what I hear. I got a little lighted headed a couple of times, but overall if was pretty crazy to see how a surgery like that happens. Sorry, forgot the camera for this one.
The original plan was to to down to North Dakota on Dec 25th to see my Mom's side of the family. Due to the snowstorm we were a bit delayed. It was great to see the farm, my Grandma and aunt and uncle. Here are a couple of pics from the farm.
After Christmas, we all headed back to Winnipeg. We were pretty busy. We did some shopping with the kids, went to the barn to see Bob's mom's horses and his neice ride. We also went and sang karoke with everyone. That was a hoot! The Enns have some singers in their family!
Nieces and nephews
Belting out some tunes
Three generations
We also went on a tour of Winnipeg to see all of Bob's old houses, schools, and paper routes. It was pretty fun! During the tour, we visited "The Forks" in Winnipeg as visited a castle.
Cold on the old bum!
No comments:
Post a Comment