Thursday, January 21, 2010

Random Thoughts....

Random thoughts by Jenny:

So earlier this week I had a hot stone massage. Sounds relaxing right? NOT! Those rocks are freaking hot and I think I have burns on the bottom of my feet to prove it. She even stuck one in the top of my bum crack! I hope they disinfect those things! hee hee.

Yesterday I went to the American Women's club bazaar. They have a bunch of vendors from all over come to sell their crafts. There were a lot of great clothes there for very cheap. I bought Bob 3 Nike golf shirts and 3 pairs of shorts for $50. God only knows where they came from or if they are even real! I was looking at some dresses and one of the girls whispered to her friend "size 10" and she runs off. Next thing I know they have the dress in a size 10, and then they have my arms up in the air trying it on. They are both pulling it down and zipping me up. Now, this dress was NOT a size 10 and it surely didn't fit me as they were yanking on it to get it over my bum. Once it's on they say "ma'am, you look beautiful". I don't think they were looking in the same mirror I was cause I looked like a sausage stuffed in a bun!

After the bazaar I decided I should get some groceries. Let me just say this was SO painful and now I understand why people hire cooks who do the grocery shopping and the cooking. First off, I don't know any of the brand names and none of the packaging sizes or shapes are the same here. For instance, Tide is not sold in big jugs or cardboard containers, they are sold in individual packets or bars (many people hand wash their clothes) So you can't even look for familiar brands or packaging to find what you are looking for. North American food is difficult to find here - and normally we wouldn't want North American food, but the food in the store, I just don't know how to make. I ventured over to the meat section and learned how that worked. It's an open meat counter where you pick your own meat with tongs and put it in a bag, then you hand it to the person behind the counter and they weigh it and put a sticker with the price on it. Now, I don't even want to know what type of germs are on the tongs as everyone and anyone is grabbing them all day. I am also quite picky when it comes to my chicken, I don't like bones or skin on my chicken and I only like chicken breasts. I have yet to find a place that sells skinless, boneless, chicken breasts. I don't know how to cook chicken with skin and bones! So I either need a cook or I need to take Filipino cooking lessons.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Have you asked Rose to cook for you? Also, look for a grocery store called "Shopwise". It's an American style grocery store and will look very familiar (although things there are more expensive, relatively). It's probably best not to go to the local market yourself as it's not as antiseptic/stainless steel bleached looking as in the US. However, you do get used to it. It normally takes me a day to get used to the smells of home and the market again..

Gary said...

Oh, I forgot to add that pedicures and manicures are dirt cheap over there so you can easily get it done weekly!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny, go to S&R (like Costco)shopping center at Fort Bonifacio. They have a big selection of American food, laundry soaps, toilet paper, etc there. Just sign up to get your membership card.